Tuesday, February 17, 2015

boom


Something strange happened last week, a house behind mine blew up. IT BLEW UP, like BOOM.

It was late Tuesday morning and I was busying myself with work and getting ready for Gregory's arrival the next day. I walked into the laundry room and turned on the washing machine, and as I stood there measuring out the detergent, a loud bang rumbled through the house shaking me and the room. I steadied myself to catch my breath. I had no idea what had happened, but whatever it was, I had felt it through me.

A couple of seconds later and I was running down the stairs, I was sure a large truck had caused the bang by ramming into the front of the house. But thankfully no, the house was intact, and my mother and Fifty were OK. Pulling on my shoes, I ran outside and looked around. From behind house a few doors down, I could see a large cloud of black smoke began to billow into the sky.

It wasn't a normal house fire, it had been an explosion.

The next few minutes were manic; a few of my neighbors came out onto the street and the police arrived, and then miraculously, the survivor of the explosion made his way onto our street. He was walking and lucid but a reddish-black color and his clothes had been blown off of him and were hanging in shreds. He said that all he had done was turn his television on. GAS!

The police said that those of us on my side of the street needed to clear out. Another woman and I made our way down the street banging on doors urging people to leave their homes, no answer, no answer, no answer. And as I ran back into my house to grab Fifty, I was terrified and holding my breath.

Soon police were positioned in our neighborhood blocking off entrances and sirens were heard all over. The smoke cloud changed from black to white, and we were allowed to return home.

It had only been an hour. How had it only been an hour? In only one hour, a house directly behind mine and only three doors down had exploded so ferociously, that it blew out the windows of one house next door, and completely destroyed the other, the police had come, the ambulance had come, Air Life had flown in, the gas company had come (THANKFULLY), and then we were back inside to carry on our day.

And we're all OK; the poor man is doing well, recovering in the hospital with burns covering 80% of his body, Fifty is fine, Gregory arrived, and other than randomly panicking because I constantly think I smell gas, I'm alright.

So here it is, you never know what a day will bring so use them wisely. Use them wisely.

23 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, glad you're okay! The only time I've been close to anything like that is being evacuated off an erupting volcano. Which now I write it sounds pretty dramatic, but it was erupting gas and mud, not like dramatic spouts of lava ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez-Louise, that's unbelievable. That guy is so lucky to be alive (not so lucky with the burns, I hope he will be okay) and it's incredible the damage done. Gas is lovely (especially in a polar vortex) but it's scary sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That really puts "normal" into perspective, doesn't it? Glad you're all ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeek..what a day! Glad no one else is hurt and the poor man survived. Ouch, though. Hope he recovers soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow so scary! What a day, hope that man recovers soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good grief, thank goodness the man survived. Gas can be scary stuff. I thought they put stuff in it to make it smell now so you noticed when it was leaking.

    Glad you're all okay, and you're right, our lives hang by a thread.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How frightening! So glad that you are ok, what a nightmare ! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, that is insane. I am so glad that you are all alright and that the man is recovering. So scary that things like that can happen when you just turn on the tv. I remember as a kid the whole neighborhood had to leave their houses and go to a safe place because there was supposed to be gas in the sewer system. Nothing happened but it was still scary, even more because my grandparents refused to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can only imagine how terrifying that must have been sweet lady. So glad everyone is safe but there must still be a little unsettling feeling, least there would be for me. Enjoy your time with that handsome groom of yours! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Maybe it's my Memphis upbringing, but as soon as I read explosion, I thought meth lab. The gas thing is even scarier, though. Poor guy - I'm glad he's going to be alright.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My goodness, it sounds terrifying. I hope the poor man recovers well and quickly. Poor guy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness. That must have been so scary. Glad you're all ok.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh Sara, that is terrifying. I've heard of gas explosions - can't imagine how freaked out that sound must have made you. Glad you're OK and hopefully that poor man will completely recover.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy shit - not very often I swear, but my life. That poor, poor man - how terrible. 80% burns? Are you ok? Sometimes these things leave lasting marks without you even realising it - I was held up in an armed robbery and now I can't bear sudden movements or scary movies. So terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness, I'm glad you're okay and I'm thinking about your neighbor. No more crazy adventures like that please?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Scary - and you're right: Use your days wisely. We don't know how many we have left. God bless xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Glad you're ok! It's crazy when that random stuff you could never plan for happens. Kind of gives you a new perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's nuts! Thank goodness the man wasn't more seriously injured and that you and all the other neighbors are OK. So scary!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ugh, so scary how things can happen so quickly - it makes you reevaluate. Sending lots of love and support to your neighbor for a quick recovery.
    I'm so glad that you and your family are safe, stay that way, my friend! xox

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad you and yours were unhurt. Many years ago in Texas, a school exploded from a gas leak and many in the small town died. Because of that incident, they passed a law to put a smell in gas so people would know it was leaking. I bet it was leaking outside his house in the pipeline, which is common. Hope the poor man recovers. Glad to hear Gregory is back. Happy days.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It was so wild to follow your social media posts about this situation - I do hope the man recovers AOK.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover